** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Golf: European Tour 2011 - Dubai World Championship

RussP

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Abu Dhabi GC

Martin Kaymer @ 9 outright Bet365 Kaymer deserves to be favourite here; absolutely outstanding record in the last three years of 1-2-1. A major champion, Race to Dubai winner, two time winner here, and eight time winner since joining tour 3 years ago. The guy knows how to win, knows how to beat the best and is one of the best. I would've taken down to 6 if I'm honest. Think he is the best player around in terms of winning tournaments at the moment and cant resist outright at this price.
Stunning stuff from Kaymer this week, deserves to be above Woods in the rankings and is probably the best player in the world right now. :ok

So at what point will Kaymer be going of 7/4 every time he plays? :unsure
You could break both his legs (or he could do it himself in a karting accident!!) and he would start this tournament next year at evens!! correct me if i'm wrong but I think his record here is 1-2-1-1 ??? That is quite unbelievable in such a quality field!! Well done all Kaymer backers and especially Hornet for throwing Noren 'the icing' on top!

Martin Kaymer's record in this tournament is 1-2-1 after winning it twice in 3 years If this was a horse race, he would possibly be shorter however this is the strongest field ever in this tournament with a host of Major winners lining up for this one. Kaymer is 8/1 best price for the outright and i expect him to again go close in his quest to be World no.1 Out of the blocks first could be Rory McIlroy often having at least 1 or 2 excellent rounds and 20/1 with Paddy Power looks big for the 1st round leader albeit may have to share the lead in such a competitive field. Outrights M Kaymer 8/1 Bet365 3pts win WINNER:nana R McIlroy 20/1 Paddy power 1.5pts win might be back tomorrow with some match bets
My 1st golf bet of the year results in a clear victory for Kaymer, i thought the price was too big and he didnt let me down 4.5pts stake 27pts returned +22.5pts P/L well doen to the others on Kaymer also :ok

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Tournament of Champions Volvo tournament starts tomorrow early morning on a new course designed by Monty Jimenez appeals if his putter is on fire, he finished with a decent round of 66 last week and this course may just be set up for his type of play Another golfer tipped to do well this week is F Molinari after good 3rd/4th rounds last week, he had such a good 2010, he will be keen to get on the leaderboard early and has birdies in his game with some consistent stats F Molinari 12/1 Extrabet 2pts win Jimenez 22/1 Bet365 2pts win Ive got a little inkling for Darren Clarke as 1st round leader 60/1 Bet365, the course might just again play to his game and if that putter works, he could have at least 1 good round as others take time to understand the course 1pt win

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Tournament of Champions Reports going round that the green are not in the best of condition. So could be a week for a big outsider. Caseys price is laughable on what merit is he a 13/2 favourite please? I agree with Jiminez I expect him to be up there and have had a bet on him at the 22/1. I like Jaidee at 50/1 aswell. Seems to do very well at this time of season and in the far east. He's been playing consistant the last few months. Harrington will be interesting to watch given how he started last week. Jimenez 22/1 e/w Jaidee 50/1 e/w Harrington win 14/1

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Tournament of Champions 1 pt ew Thomas Aiken to win @ 80/1 Skybet (5 places, 1/4 odds) Not a player renowned for playing well in Dubai, however, I'm willing to take a chance on him this week. Played some good golf back in South Africa at the start of the season, and has clearly got his game together early, something that cant be said is certain for some of the rest. Will improve on last weeks performance, and I think 80/1 is big.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Tournament of Champions As I have no idea for this, new tournament in a "new" country I'll go for a couple of outsiders... Colin Montgomerie @ 235 Befair Designed the course and no longer has the pressure of the Ryder Cup or Royal Trophy - worth a punt at this price as has surprised before and clearly knows how to get over the line. Andrew Marshall @ 301 BetFred Has won in Bahrain previously and this is why he's in the tournament. Add in his last 6 tournaments on the Challenge and E-Tour are Top 30s and it's crazy to see him at this price. GL :ok

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Tournament of Champions One for me before the leaders tee off. 3pts M.Manassero to beat M.Jimenez 11/10 Paddy Power Match tees off at 9.06 GMT. I like Matteo Manassero in this two ball. It's well publicised that Jimenez snapped his putter in half on Friday and although he putted nicely with the wedge at the end of that round he was horrible with the replacement putter yesterday, barely holing a thing. It's a credit to him that he shot 69 really given how he putted but I can't help but feel he's giving a shot or two to the field with the problems this stick is giving him on the greens. Contrast that to the young Italian, Manassero. He's going along very nicely indeed and but for a triple bogey on 17 on Friday he would be holding a share of the lead now. His 66 yesterday showed he has no trouble competing in this elite company and I think he's primed to go well in this final round. Unlike Jimenez, Manassero is having no trouble on the greens and he's hitting the ball well. He hit 16 GIR's yesterday and anything close to that today should give him enough chances to beat the Spanish veteran in the final round.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Tournament of Champions

Volvo tournament starts tomorrow early morning on a new course designed by Monty Jimenez appeals if his putter is on fire, he finished with a decent round of 66 last week and this course may just be set up for his type of play Another golfer tipped to do well this week is F Molinari after good 3rd/4th rounds last week, he had such a good 2010, he will be keen to get on the leaderboard early and has birdies in his game with some consistent stats F Molinari 12/1 Extrabet 2pts win Jimenez 22/1 Bet365 2pts win Ive got a little inkling for Darren Clarke as 1st round leader 60/1 Bet365, the course might just again play to his game and if that putter works, he could have at least 1 good round as others take time to understand the course 1pt win
bit unlucky with Jiminez being around the lead for 4 days but wasnt able to matach casey on the last day going down by 1 shot for a share of 2nd place. Clarke also done ok leading the tournament during the 3rd round, pity i had him 1st round!! Bets to date 6 wins 1 P/L +17.5pts

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Qatar Masters Posting one now as I doubt I'll be online tomorrow. John Daly first round leader @ 125/1 e/w Don't usually bet on this market but thought I'd have a little bet this week, Daly played well last week in the usa and he's always a fast starter if he's back playing solid golf this week he can post a nice score on day one before blowing up at some point at the weekend :ok

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Qatar Masters I'm going to take 3 bets now. L.Westwood to win Qatar Masters, 2pts EW @ 9/1 Betfred (1/4 odds 1-2-3-4-5) World No 1 yet priced at a very attractive looking 9/1. Westwood has played just the 1 event this year, a poor 64th 2 weeks ago but will strip much fitter and returns to a venue where he finished 3rd last year. Interesting that his finish last year came in his 2nd event of the year, following a missed cut in his 1st event. A repeat on the cards? The course looks ideally suited to his game, where iron play will be crucial, and previous form proves that. With Tiger now back and Kaymer already a winner this year, Westwood will be desperate to cement his position and what better way to do that than by winning this in style. I.Poulter to win Qatar Masters, 1pt EW @ 25/1 SportingBet (1/4 odds 1-2-3-4-5) Top player is Poults, and world ranked 12 so 25/1 is a big price. Finished last season in top form indeed, winning the HK Open and 2nd in the Dubai WC. Started this year with a missed cut at the Abu Dhabi before a top 25 last week in the Volvo GC despite complaining vociferously about the poor quality of the greens. What did impress last week was his supremely consistent iron play. He finished top of GIR which is key here (winner last year was 4th for that stat), so if he can repeat that effort but putt a bit better on greens that will suit, he'll be in the mix down the stretch on Sunday. R.Goosen to win Qatar Masters, 1pt EW @ 20/1 SportingBet (1/4 odds 1-2-3-4-5) Retief has started the year in terrific form and I expect that to continue here. 2nd at the SA Open and 3rd at the Abu Dhabi ain't a bad return from his last 3 events so I'll take him to find a win this weekend. Won this event in 2007 and 9th last year so event form. Goosen was 2nd for greens hit 2 years ago so is another up there when the irons are out. Another inside the world's top 20, I expect the elite to dominate this week and 20's is a bit big for a world class player in form.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Qatar Masters Alvaro Quiros @ 17 ew Totesport Outstanding record here finishing 1st and 2nd in the last 2 years; clearly loves the course. Warmed up nicely last week with a top 10 in Bahrain and knows how to win if the opportunity arises. Miguel Angel Jimenez @ 29 ew BetFred Classy player who won 3 times last year and finished 2nd last week despite breaking his putter. Has a great record in the desert (as shown last week) and won in Abu Dhabi last year; very decent price. Brett Rumford @ 126 ew Bet365 Finished 3rd here last year and loves it when the wind blows which it promises to this week - shown by his top 10 finishes in 2009 at the shortened Ballantines Champs, Gleaneagles and the Irish Open. Worth a dabble at 3 figures. Retief Goosen Top 10 @ 2.75 StanJames The guy is a top 10 machine but cant buy a win! Has 25top 10s in last 46 tournaments. Loves this tournament having won it just a few years ago in 2007. Played well last week and a couple of weeks previous finishing in the top 10 both times so is clearly capable of bringing this in. Wouldnt make this better than evens. GL:ok

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Qatar Masters Robert Karlsson 12/1 E/W Paddy Power Going with Karlsson to defend the title he won last year. Loves this part of the world was also the Dubai World Champion just 3 months ago & was tied 5th last week despite a slow start, had a very good final round so will have alot of confidence going into an event that he loves. Steve Stricker 25/1 E/W SportingBet Steve Stricker at 25/1 is very interesting, also if the wind blows it won't bother him he has done very well in Hawaii in recent years, 5 wins combined in last two years & was placed in the pga season opener this year, also top 10 in the Sony Open, would want to do well here as he gets payed an appearence fee

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Qatar Masters Whats with the Yanks and the Middle eastern swing? Mickelson last week... Stricker this week (and John Daly but the big fella only plays on invites these days...) and isn't Woods in Dubai next week? Must be some huge appearance fees from these arabs to make them go out and get a passport...... Other things to get off my chest.... Alvaro Quiros played in the Phoenix in the US last year? I remember watching loads of coverage last year but don't remember seeing him?? Mannessaro isn't playing Qatar?? Right, off to find more things that annoy me, that no one else is really interested in... :ok

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Qatar Masters The Golf Comp has encouraged me to post a few reasons for my picks. :) The Doha course is one that hasn’t suited Martin Kaymer (unlike Abu Dhabi), also I’m thinking Westwood may have a slow start to the year after injury and the amazingly successful\speedy return from injury at the end of last year. Often in athletes\footballers we see a burst back on to the scene followed by a little dip. Karlsson, Quiros and Casey all have good results here, but the prices reflect that. So I’m going looking for some value on a couple of lesser light BIG hitters. Nicolas Colsaerts - Biggest hitter in Europe last year with a very reasonable 11th in Abu Dhabi to dust of the cobwebs. Not sure his putting will be good enough but a big priced runner who may give me a run for my money. Seung-Yul Noh - The young Korean looks all over a star in the making. Already has two good showings this year. This lad can smash it off the tee and usually find the greens in regulation. A bit more maturity and a course that I think will suit could see him pushing for the win. Bets Seung-Yul Noh winner @ 44 (betfair) 1 pt top 10 @ 5 (betfair) 2 pts (asked for) Nicolas Colsaerts winner @ 170 (betfair) ½ pt top 10 @ 9.2 (betfair) 2 pts (asked for) Tourney Match bet Casey to beat Westwood 2.06 (betfair) 4 ½ pts Can’t find a bet to oppose Kaymer, not quite brave enough to lay, possibly the best player on the planet right now,@ 2/1 for top 5. Yes I’m a pussy :$ 10 pts staked, anything comes in and I’m not too far behind.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Qatar Masters Qatar Masters has drawn a very strong field and i expect the winner to come from 5 or 6 possibles, Kaymer, Westwood, Casey, Karlsson, Goosen of those 5 Goosen @ 20/1 stands out on value, he was very close 2 weeks ago in the desert and returns here to an event he has won before (2007). As a saver I will side again with Kaymer after his impressive victory 2 weeks ago. 6/1 with Bet365 1st round leaders out of the blocks, Ricardo Gonzalez 80/1 Paddy Power and James Kingston 110/1 Bet365 bets To win Goosen 20/1 2pts win Kaymer 6/1 1pt win 1st round leader Gonzalez 80/1 0.5pts Kingston 110/1 0.5pts

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Qatar Masters 2 for me in Qatar. 2pts ew A.Quiros to win Qatar Masters 14/1 Coral (1/4 1,2,3,4,5) I like Alviro Quiros this week. He loves the course having finished 1st and 2nd in the last two years and comes into this event in pretty decent nick having been 23rd in Abu Dhabi and then 8th in Bahrain last week. Quiros is a long hitter which I think it required this week and if he's hot with the putter than I expect the Spaniard to go very close once again at a more than fair price given his record on the course in recent years. 1pt ew H.Stenson to win Qatar Masters 35/1 Coral (1/4 1,2,3,4,5) Henrik Stenson is another with an excellent record around here. He won this title back in 2006 and has 3 2nd placed finishes on top of that too. He hasn't been the player he was in 2009 for a while but I read on twitter that he's been doing some work on his swing so if he's corrected what was wrong then he should have the confidence to go nicely this week. He played some fair golf in Abu Dhabi two weeks ago with 3 decent enough rounds to begin with before a poor finale but that may have brushed off any cobwebs and on a course he clearly enjoys playing, which suits his credentials down to the ground, I think the Swede could go well at a decent enough price.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Dubai Desert Classic Martin Kaymer has been backed off the boards, and unlike two weeks ago, I will reluctantly - and possibly foolishly - refuse to take the bait. While it suits him, he hasnt dominated like in Abu Dhabi and at 5s and worse, I'll give him a miss. Tiger and Rory remain at stupidly low prices and I'll also be swerving them - they may win, but I wont be on them at well into single figures. Lee Westwood @ 13 outright SkyBet OK, he didnt play great last week but then in the first round who did? His second round was inexcusable...but Westwood doesnt look for excuses, he looks for answers, and I have a feeling he'll have a few this week. What happened the last time he missed the cut? He bounced back with a top 3 the week after. The last time he played here? Lost in a playoff. He loves Dubai as shown by his most recent performances here of 1-2-3 - not too shabby. The guy is still Number 1 in the world - despite what people may say! - and will want to show why especially playing alongside Kaymer and Tiger. The double figures on offer are too big for me too resist. Alvaro Quiros @ 19 ew ToteSport I love betting on Quiros - it's always exciting. Without the first day's wind he would have run away with the tournament Martin Kaymer style last week and was very unlucky not to catch Bjorn with a few wholes to go. Clearly playing well (he finished 8th two weeks ago as well) and coming back to a course that he led at going into the final round last year before finished 6th. Finished 13th here the year before that (finishing up with a 64) so can clearly play the course. I expect his upward curve here to continue and after consecutive top 8s, the 18s on offer is more than fair. Matteo Manassero @ 46 ew Coral This kid is outstanding. He breaks records for fun and I feel it's about time he really broke through with a big win. Played really well a couple of weeks ago finishing 13th where he was top 25 for accuracy, GIR and putting; a pretty lethal combination. Finished 31st here last year when he wasnt half the player he is now; Rory McIlroy had his breakout win here and now he's at 7s...dont expect odds like this to last on Matteo for too much longer; the kid is a star. Chris Wood @ 81 ew ToteSport Sadly the 90s are unavailable to me as StanJames are not my biggest fans :lol however, Wood is still a decent price with others at 80s. This season he already has a playoff loss and a top 25 to his name and in his column on Golf365 seemed really happy with the way his game has been going. Having been practicing and living really near the course over the winter, he admits that he loves it here and feels comfortable. With a top 20 last year and some pretty decent form, I'm happy taking these odds on this youngster. Gareth Maybin @ 101 ew ToteSport 38-27-5 - Gareths last 3 results...getting better and better and while he is still looking for his first win, it cant be too far off. Six top 5 finishes since coming to the tour in 2009 shows he has the ability, he just needs to finish it off. Finished in the top 20 here last year and showed with a T7 in Hong Kong that he can compete with a world class field. Worth a go at 3 figures. Bet of the Week By highlighting this I risk looking stupid but Martin Kaymer to beat Tiger Woods over 72 holes (no ties) @ 1.8 with SkyBet seems ridiculous. These are two guys going in opposite directions who both have great records here...I know who I'd prefer to be on. GL :ok

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Dubai Desert Classic Kaymer to beat Woods @ 1.8 I also really like the kaymer to beat Woods bet @ 1.8 as we know Kaymer is the next Number 1 and will be starting every tournament favourite from now on he is just a very good player and Woods just didn't look all that a few weeks ago at Torry Pines he looked good on the front 9 on day 2 and that's it he looked poor the rest of the time, even though he has a good record round here I think he'll struggle again this week and Kaymer can beat him comfortable in a match bet. Rory McIlroy top 5 @ 2.84 Rory is the man he hasn't played since the Abu dhabi, his record in Dubai is the nuts he's never out of the top 6 in all his starts, he won this 2 years back, he's fresh from a break, he;s hungry this week for a victory. He's short in the win market this week but fully deserves to be and I can only see Kaymer going lower than him if someone does manage that. Rory McIlroy WIN @ 7/1 Rory is the man he hasn't played since the Abu dhabi, his record in Dubai is the nuts he's never out of the top 6 in all his starts, he won this 2 years back, he's fresh from a break, he;s hungry this week for a victory. He's short in the win market this week but fully deserves to be and I can only see Kaymer going lower than him if someone does manage that. Jaidee e/w @ 66/1 I do like to follow Jaidee on the tour and especially in events in the far east, He's always a consitant player and does rack up the odd win, only small stakes as if he won and I didn't back him I'd be screwing!