Announcements
*** Punchestown Festival Competition: Well done to 1st. Craig Bluenose, 2nd. Lee Grays & 3rd. Carole Dawney ***
** May Poker League Result : 1st McG, 2nd muttley, 3rd GirlyWirly **
** Football Tipster Competition Result : 1st CertiF, 2nd PercyP, 3rd adamross, 4th Joelavfc, 5th Chris P **
** May Naps Competition Result: 1st Internetmails, 2nd Rug, 3rd Rolandcooper, 4th Adamross. KO Cup Winner: Xtc12, Most Winners: Mickyftm32 **

PDC Darts World Championship

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PDC Darts World Championship How you do or don't deal with pressure is irrelevant... Whether you go 26,26,26 and never get to the double or go 180,180 and then 30 darts later still haven't finished... You still lose and still don't deal with pressure!! Anyway, don't be so touchy, Czech... The rolling head suggests I was joking! I like Anderson! And his long list of televised titles :rollin (sorry!) As Kev said though Tabern upped his game when it mattered and Burnett did look a bit match rusty at the business end.

Re: PDC Darts World Championship Not here tomorrow, so I will post bets now again. 6pts Michael van Gerwen (-1.5) to bt. Mensur Suljovic @ 2.62 at Paddy Power Like Gerwen here actually. I still do not like Suljovic's throw. It sometimes works nicely, but when it doesn't, he is really all over the place. Gerwen is more consistent even off rhythm in my opinion. He also had a much better year than Suljovic, so I cannot see him as not being a solid favorite and I think the handicap is worth a risk. If this gets to 2-2, I cannot really favor Gerwen to take it, so I will take the risk here with very solid odds indeed. 7pts Joe Cullen (+2.5) to bt. Terry Jenkins @ 1.72 at Paddy Power A young talent against the experienced...err...raging bull. Jenkins in solid form and he usually wins these matches, but I think he is shaky enough to let a set slip here. Cullen has nothing to lose here, he is quite talented, no pressure really - why couldn't he get a set here? He has even beaten the likes of Nicholson and even Taylor (6-5!) this year at minor events, so I think he will not be scared here on the big stage.

Re: PDC Darts World Championship Last night was a complete shambles betting wise. Down to -16.83 now which is terrible. I like the card tonight though so hopefully we can get some of that back. 4pts M.Suljovic to beat M.van Gerwen 11/10 Boylesports I don't like taking on Michael van Gerwen but he really has to be taken on. This kid has so much talent it's untrue but since he's come to the PDC we've rarely seen it on TV and I feel it's now starting to show in his performances. He's not been in particularly good form on the tour in recent weeks either although I accept that form can only be taken with a pinch of salt with so long to prepare for this event to make sure that you are ready for it. Even so, only one trip past the last 32 of a tournament since the end of August is not good. Mensur Suljovic is a tricky one to fathom. His throw is technically awful but the results from it aren't that bad. He'll have the odd dodgy leg but then he'll go into consistent mode and fire in 140's and 180's like he's throwing a hedgehog. Suljovic made the final of a warm up tournament last week where he lost to Jamie Caven in the final so he comes in here with a couple of wins under his belt and a fair enough performance at the world cup where he beat Co Stompe and only just lost to Nicholson in the singles. Suljovic has beaten better players than MVG in this event and at odds against I'll take him to claim another scalp tonight. 4pts J.Cullen (+2.5 sets) to beat T.Jenkins 8/11 Sportingbet Joe Cullen is one of the up and coming crop of players on the PDC circuit and while his tournament results don't look too good in that he's only made one quarter final and one last 16 all year, he has got a rarity of a win over Phil Taylor on his record last month. That's something that should give him plenty of confidence. Terry Jenkins is often a 1st round struggler, particularly here having only made it past that stage once, losing to Kirk Shepherd and Dennis Smith on the other two occasions in the opening match. Jenkins is playing well enough as we saw at the recent Grand Slam and for me remains a player who can win these major tournaments. I think he'll win this but we saw, to those who followed me, to our detriment that the odd missed double does come into play from time to time. That will keep Cullen in this and although I expect Jenkins to win the match, I expect the youngster to win a set. 3pts S.Brown to beat J.Klaasen 13/8 Boylesports 3pts Over 5.5 180's Evs William Hill This could be the match of the opening round. Both good players but for me the Bomber is slightly the more reliable and consistent. Don't get me wrong, when Klaasen is on form he's match for all of them but recent tournament results suggest he's not quite to that standard yet. In many ways these two are evenly matched. There isn't a huge amount between them in the world rankings. Brown beat Jenkins at the Matchplay so he holds no fears for the big occasion. He plays his game which is consistent scoring and steady but reliable finishing. Klaasen can score heavily but when things aren't going right a lot of 60 scores slip in there too. Also at the speed he plays at he's prone to missing the odd crucial double. I like Brown to win this one as the steadier player. I also like the 180's line here. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this match went the full 5 sets and I'm sure nobody has forgotten when Klaasen and van der Voort smashed the 180's in a 1st round game a few years back. Brown can hit the 180's too so with possibly 5 sets to get this in but 4 at the very least, I think we'll see the 6 180's to go along with a Brown win.

Re: PDC Darts World Championship Jelle Klaasen V Steve Brown 5pts Steve Brown @ 2.8 Betfair Currently -4pts for the tournament although not a lot thus far has caught my eye really. Kinda fancied Artut to beat Ovens last night but his early scoring in the prelim put me off - felt sick when it was 1-1 and Artut looked destined to take a 2-1 lead but all of a sudden Ovens turned up the 'heat' :D and played some top stuff which was a relief (sorry to any of you who backed artut.) Anyways, moving onto tonight: I know there are two darts players called Steve Brown, am praying its the younger version from Bristol otherwise i've had an absolute shocker. This guy has really impressed me over the last year and am always looking out for the plasterer. Think he is a very likeable character and plays some excellent darts whenever i've watched him. He has strong nerves at squeeky bum time and is more than capable of producing an upset (eg; when he dumped Jenks out of Blackpool.) I also remember watching him against Wade last year and thought to myself who's this chump, Wade has got 3-0 wrapped up. But to my surprise, Brown took a well played set off Wade and could easily have done better. In contrast, apart from reaching the quarters of the matchplay, Jelle has done nothing to impress me in the slightest over the last year. Don't know whats happened to him but his form has been pretty dire and he looks like a completely different person to the man that won the 06 bdo world champs. He has had many a first round exit from tournaments over the last year and i know it's a while ago now, but his 09 premier league performance was nothing but laughable (7 losses, 4 draws and 1 win.) But hey, its darts, my pick is 2.8 so who knows, but just feel these are two players travelling in opposite directions and i really expect bright things to come for the bomber - definately value in Brown tonight.

Re: PDC Darts World Championship This isn't a criticism, just pointing out to anyone who may not have noticed... But a 2.5 set handicap in round 1 can be overturned with only 1 well placed break of throw... Should the 'favourite' throw 1st in sets 1 and 3 and hold their throws, then break the lesser players throw once in set 2 and hold their own throws... They would win 3-0... Just something to bare in mind at this stage of the tournament :ok

Re: PDC Darts World Championship Hmm, I'm following a sure fire path to the poor house tonight, taking my hero on but ne'er mind... Michael van Gerwen (-1.5) to bt Mensur Suljovic - 2pts @ 7/4 (Bet365) Jelle Klaasen (-1.5) to bt Steve Brown - 2.5pts @ 6/5 (Bet365) Both of the young Dutch bucks get my vote for tonight's set of matches. The same comments could just as easily to both matches for my reasoning - both van Gerwen and Klaasen have more natural ability, imo, than tonight's opponents, but both have the mental fragility to throw the towel in if things don't go to plan. I'd have both more likely to win 3-0 or 3-1 then to win a tense deciding set, so like the odds against quotes for them to cover a 1.5-set handicap. Mensur Suljovic to bt Michael van Gerwen 3-2 - 0.5pts @ 6/1 (Stan James) Just a small cover bet for the MvG bet.

Re: PDC Darts World Championship

This isn't a criticism' date=' just pointing out to anyone who may not have noticed... But a 2.5 set handicap in round 1 can be overturned with only 1 well placed break of throw... Should the 'favourite' throw 1st in sets 1 and 3 and hold their throws, then break the lesser players throw once in set 2 and hold their own throws... They would win 3-0... Just something to bare in mind at this stage of the tournament :ok[/quote'] Carol Vorderman eat your heart out :lol ;).

Re: PDC Darts World Championship STEVE BROWN to beat Jelle Klassen i am fan of the young Bristolian Bomber, impressed me greatly at the Matchplay when he beat Terry Jenkins in round one and to beat the Bull you have to play well, he won't gift you matches anyway Brown runs a darts academy and is looking to groom future world champions, Brwon was here last year losing to Wade in round one but i expect him to do better this time round Klassen is very hot and cold yeah former world champion he must still dine out on that as he has done virtually nothing since he has struggled to find any consistency inthe PDC and he has shown nothing to me to suggest he can overcome Brown tonight either

Re: PDC Darts World Championship Lol... For some reason I have spent the last few hours thinking Cullen was William O'connor :spank Now he's on stage I recognise him from a televised young darts talent thing on Bravo I think it was... Cullen beat Aaron Monk in the final I think and another local player to me, Ricky Williams who featured in the Uk open last year...

6pts Michael van Gerwen (-1.5) to bt. Mensur Suljovic @ 2.62 at Paddy Power 7pts Joe Cullen (+2.5) to bt. Terry Jenkins @ 1.72 at Paddy Power
A small loss that brings my -5.81 to -6.77. Just one for me tomorrow, although a solid one. 8pts Barrie Bates to bt. Kevin McDine @ 1.80 at Paddy Power Cannot argue about this one too much, but I have not seen McDine a lot this year, so I have to favor Bates heavily. Would like some confirmation, but this really seems like a solid favorite with solid odds. McDine seemed quite poor in the major tournaments this year and the fact that he won some matches last year does not change anything for me. Bates is more experienced and in a better form - especially in TV matches. I will be changing that to 1.94 at Pinnacle, which I noticed just now. I cannot understand those odds to be honest.

Last night was a complete shambles betting wise. Down to -16.83 now which is terrible. I like the card tonight though so hopefully we can get some of that back. 4pts M.Suljovic to beat M.van Gerwen 11/10 Boylesports 4pts J.Cullen (+2.5 sets) to beat T.Jenkins 8/11 Sportingbet 3pts S.Brown to beat J.Klaasen 13/8 Boylesports 3pts Over 5.5 180's Evs William Hill
It's just one big game to you Kev, aint it:lol. Bookies think they have you just where they want you and then, in one foul swoop, you wipe out all but 1pt of the deficit with all 4 bets romping home. Too easy. Brilliant mate:notworthy

Re: PDC Darts World Championship Da da da da da da da da da da da da OI OI OI!! Great work Brown backers, nicely done Kev full house at some lovely prices!! Proper chuffed with that performance, proved me well mr bomber - was it bad that I fancied taking him -1.5 sets but couldn't find it anyway :tongue2 proper fancied him most 180s too at 11/4 but good night nonetheless +4.31 Pts for tournament now

Suljovic should be good odds against van Gerwen. Will also look at Odds for Brown v Klaasen' date=' Burnett v Tabern and Dolan v Painter if looking for some underdogs.[/quote'] Brown , Dolan and Suljovic all producing the goods at big odds would've been a fullhouse with Burnett 2-1 up but Tabern had a cracking last 2 sets. Only regret is I didn't do a proper tip with odds, bookies and stake.. Might've won somebody a few pennies and made myself look better! :\ Cracking night Kev :notworthy Great work Sneej and good write up theoldmaster :ok and anyone else with winners tonight!

Re: PDC Darts World Championship Cheers guys. Was a good night. I certainly needed it :$. Once again I forgot to take the point off for losing the quarter bet so I was actually -17.83 going into tonight. The clean sweep has recovered 15.20pts so I go into tomorrow night just -2.63 overall now. Taking two tomorrow now because I think the prices are wrong and could flip flop overnight. 4pts K.McDine to beat B.Bates Evs Bet365 5pts Over 4.5 180's 5/6 William Hill I really like Kevin McDine in this match. We've seen in the past how he's a big stage player and there's no bigger stage than this one. He comes into this event in ok nick too having made the quarter finals of the last tour event, beating the likes of Gary Anderson and Mark Dudbridge on his way. In September he made a quarter final in Holland and beat Adrian Lewis and Terry Jenkins along the way so the Geordie can still play darts. Bates isn't in a good trot at the minute. Since the Grand Prix he's only gone past the last 32 once where he lost to Dennis Smith in a quarter final. That's not great and although he and Mark Webster made the final of the world cup a couple of weeks back, Bates didn't win a single singles match, losing to the likes of Carlos Rodriguez and Darin Young among others. So confidence can't be too high. McDine beat Bates 4-0 here last year and while I don't think this will be as comprehensive, I do think he'll win again. In fact, I think this could go 5 sets. I certainly expect it to go to 4 sets which makes this 180's line look very low. If it goes 5 sets we'll need just 1 180 per set to bring this in and while both pepper the 140's and not so much the 180's, a line of 4.5 is low enough for us to sneak enough 180's to cover it. To be fair to both, both of them can score solidly when they are on their game and a close match here should give us bags of time to get the required 5 180's in.

Re: PDC Darts World Championship One more for this evening. 3pts C.Thompson to beat C.Osborne 16/5 Sportingbet Chris Thompson looks a big price here against someone who threatened some good form at the Grand Slam but when we look back at it never really showed it. Sure the win over Whitlock looks good but everyone in that group managed that so it's not as good a win as it may have looked. The subsequent 10-3 loss to Anderson in the last 16 suggests that his TV game isn't quite as confident as it usually is. In the Yorkie, Thompson, Osborne has a tricky assignment. Thompson will be coming in here knowing he beat Taylor earlier in the year, a massive confidence boost if ever there was one. And unlike Joe Cullen, he never beat Taylor when Taylor was in his rough spell, he beat him during his all conquering Premier League time. Although this is Thompson's debut in the world championship, he has made the quarter finals of the UK Open in days gone by so he has played on TV before. He's made a couple of semis and beaten some big names on the floor this season so I think he's a big price here to take advantage of any doubts Osborne has on the TV stage. Osborne could of course come out firing on all cylinders but he hasn't done that for a while on TV, going out in the 1st round of every Sky major this year apart from the Grand Prix where he went out in the 2nd round. Thompson is definitely good enough to land this at a tasty price.

Re: PDC Darts World Championship In hindsight I staked those two McDine match bets the wrong way around. Been waiting for this one. My last tonight. 4pts J.Caven to beat D.Petersen 3-0 7/5 Totesport I've been waiting for Jamie Caven to make his bow in this tournament. He comes in here having won a warm up tournament last week and in the semi final and final he beat Andy Hamilton and Mensur Suljovic and averaged 99 and 97 in the process so he's clearly playing good darts. He lost in the 1st round last year to Gary Anderson in a thriller but in truth he didn't do a lot wrong. Admittedly, Jabba's TV form this season has left a lot to be desired but he's got a lovely start here which I expect him to take advantage of. Petersen played very well in his preliminary match but as we've seen from others this week, it's hard to back it up against a pro. We've seen King Hashi and Ridd win their prelim matches impressively then lose 3-0 later that night. Petersen looked capable but Madhoo still took him to a deciding leg. Jabba's scoring should be too heavy and too consistent and I'll take him to close the night out with a 3-0 win.