Your No.1 Betting & Poker Community 

Thread: Tony Culhane

Thanks
    Awards: 5

Default Tony Culhane

Culhane rode his biggest ever winner today by guiding Som Tala to victory in the Northumberland Plate. Personally, he thought he gave the horse a cracking ride and deserves his success.

No pace on so he dictated the race from the front, had most of the field pulling for their heads and kicked on off the final bend. The Godolphin horse was first to challenge but weight maybe told and the Bryan Smart horse, Wells Lyrical, put in strong late run but Culhane never looked like being caught.

A strange race really and treat the form with caution but let's praise the excellent ride & biggest win to date for Tony Culhane
    Russ

Thanks
    Awards: 2

Default Re: Tony Culhane

Was a good ride. Thought the Godolphin horse was going to catch him at one point but he held on well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheRat View Post
    Was a good ride. Thought the Godolphin horse was going to catch him at one point but he held on well
    Cheers Ratty, was a cracking ride

Surprised no-one else has any views on this. We have plenty of views on a certain Mr Spencer when he rides a loser but let's praise an excellent ride from one of the lesser known jockey
    Russ

Thanks
    Awards: 10

I've not watched any racing except the Knot in Wood Grp 3 so can't comment on the ride itself, but well done Tony, and happy for Mick Channon, as £180k is a nice little pot to win, and will have been even sweeter after the events of the past year.

Thanks

Without doubt it was a decent ride, there was no pace so he made it himself.

The thing is, I think this should be a given, he done his job.

Adjusting to pace should be a daily thing for jockeys - unfortunately it isn't with many.

Having heard him speak numerous times he doesn't strike me as a likable chap. He is a little lairy and he seems a little too opinionated, which can be dangerous, for a jock.

He recently rode a winner for Findlay/Bloom and when asked about the decent performance of this newcomer he abruptly said "he only beat platers, he isn't much more than that" - or something very similar.

After Som Tala he said that Mick Channon doesn't really give orders and that suits him, he has confidence in Culhane's ability to do the right thing - or words to that affect.

I don't like that way of thinking. Jockeys have a busy lifestyle, they rarely stick their heads in the formbook (something I've long worried about) and regardless of what some of them think, they DO need help with regards to tactics - sometimes that held needs to come from people that don't even ride.

Although I haven't read his book, Vietch slagged a couple of jockeys off who refused to take advice. I could also tell you of a high profile jockey who will not take advice from trainers regarding tactics - even if he hasn't sat on the horse before.

That is absolutely ridiculous and I'd take the ride before I let a jockey like that on any of mine.

I think Culhane has his opinions on the game and I'm not sure he is an "owners" jockey.

Last edited by billy the punter; 28-06-2009 at 15:59.

Thanks

Wouldn't disagree on any of that, Billy. I'm not a huge fan of Culhane either but, for the race yesterday alone, he was only one using his head. I'm surprised those pulling for their heads so much allowed it to happen. Ok, it's possible they can't front run but, after failing to settle, it was a layers heaven on many of these before halfway.
    Russ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RussP View Post
    Wouldn't disagree on any of that, Billy. I'm not a huge fan of Culhane either but, for the race yesterday alone, he was only one using his head. I'm surprised those pulling for their heads so much allowed it to happen. Ok, it's possible they can't front run but, after failing to settle, it was a layers heaven on many of these before halfway.
    Definitely, and it shows you how brain-dead many of today's jockeys are with their constant failures to adapt mid-race.

Thanks

unfortunately since his ban culhane has become an outcast,with only MC sticking by him.he only gets the occasional ride on complete no hopers.

i dont even think he is number1 jock at MC,but yesterday was timely reminder culhane IS the best northern jock and has been for the last 10years IMHO,he also rode FRANK SPENCER to sleep on the other winner as well!

lets hope this big winner gets him back on some more good horses other than for MC.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 951 Posts
    Awards: 9

Quote Originally Posted by billy the punter View Post
    He recently rode a winner for Findlay/Bloom and when asked about the decent performance of this newcomer he abruptly said "he only beat platers, he isn't much more than that" - or something very similar.

I'm not sure he is an "owners" jockey.
    Can concur with that. Several years ago he rode our plater who ran to expectations (came last). He didn't even bother to stick around for us to make it back to unsaddling to tell us how bad he was.

Thanks
    Awards: 3

What jockeys do seem to give good feedback to trainers? I've stood and heard Robert Winston giving a lot of feedback previously at Pontefract and I've read columns, articles etc by Kieren Fallon who seems to have good opinions on horses he has ridden out for Stoute and how he thinks they would benefit from being ridden. Do you think Murtagh should have ridden to orders in that farce at Chester on Frozen Fire or shown some initiative and made the running? I think the latter as a crawl and a sprint was never going to suit it.

Thanks
    Awards: 10

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli77 View Post
    Do you think Murtagh should have ridden to orders in that farce at Chester on Frozen Fire or shown some initiative and made the running? I think the latter as a crawl and a sprint was never going to suit it.
    He should have used his brain!

All of the jockeys that day had been given instructions to hold their horses up and all but Buick (on the eventuall winner Buccellati) were stubbornly sticking to those instructions, even though even the punters in the stands could tell how the race would pan out. Thankfully Buick showed some brains and took up the running, and was rewarded when they sprinted for home and he got first run on the field. You would have thought a jockey like Murtagh would have envisaged how the race would unfold, Ialthough perhaps he thought FF was better than he actually was and he thought he could eat up the ground late on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AvonGirl View Post
    Can concur with that. Several years ago he rode our plater who ran to expectations (came last). He didn't even bother to stick around for us to make it back to unsaddling to tell us how bad he was.
    rather dissapointed to see negative remarks on TC...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli77 View Post
    What jockeys do seem to give good feedback to trainers? I've stood and heard Robert Winston giving a lot of feedback previously at Pontefract and I've read columns, articles etc by Kieren Fallon who seems to have good opinions on horses he has ridden out for Stoute and how he thinks they would benefit from being ridden. Do you think Murtagh should have ridden to orders in that farce at Chester on Frozen Fire or shown some initiative and made the running? I think the latter as a crawl and a sprint was never going to suit it.
    McCoy is the ultimate professional (shock-horror). He wants to know as much as possible about the horse prior to sitting on it and will give all the advice he can after the race.

I'm biased but Paul Doe is brilliant with such matters.

Others just don't care, or are too up their arse to discuss matters with owners. Like I said above, I know two top jockeys who have refused point blank to even take orders, let alone stick to them.

If you're a small owner getting a "top" jock to ride for you is suicidal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BAGS is BENT View Post
    rather dissapointed to see negative remarks on TC...
    Are you that surprised though?

Anyone who listens to the man talk can see what he is, surely?

Perhaps I have my punter/owner head to firmly on?
    Last edited by billy the punter; 29-06-2009 at 23:23.

Thanks

Are you that surprised though?

Anyone who listens to the man talk can see what he is, surely?

Perhaps I have my punter/owner head to firmly on?
    you are entitled to your opinion...

i would rather look to the positive aspects in this thread,TC stole a £100,000+ race at newcastle on saturday with a masterful piece of skill and judgement from the front.

i will again re itterate i find it a travesty that he is treated as outcast since his ban(very harsh IMHO),with only MC giving him rides,he gets no good outside rides.

given the amunition,TC is still one of the finest around.

Thanks

you are entitled to your opinion...

i would rather look to the positive aspects in this thread,TC stole a £100,000+ race at newcastle on saturday with a masterful piece of skill and judgement from the front.

i will again re itterate i find it a travesty that he is treated as outcast since his ban(very harsh IMHO),with only MC giving him rides,he gets no good outside rides.

given the amunition,TC is still one of the finest around.
    But as he got banned for giving advice to back and lay horses he was riding then how can he argue?

He is lucky to get rides at all.

And lets not forget, that come not soon after he was banned for 21 days for dropping his hands on what should have been a 20 length winner.

I don't think he is being ignored that much to be honest, MC was always resposible for a huge chunk of his rides. In the old days his 2nd stable (if you like) was David Chapman - he has retired.

That said, if he is being ignored, I certainly do not blame any trainers/owners for doing so.

Last edited by billy the punter; 30-06-2009 at 13:37.

Thanks

But as he got banned for giving advice to back and lay horses he was riding then how can he argue?

He is lucky to get rides at all.

And lets not forget, that come not soon after he was banned for 21 days for dropping his hands on what should have been a 20 length winner.

I don't think he is being ignored that much to be honest, MC was always resposible for a huge chunk of his rides. In the old days his 2nd stable (if you like) was David Chapman - he has retired.

That said, if he is being ignored, I certainly do not blame any trainers/owners for doing so.

yes i do remember the incident at ponty on the b hills-trained/maktoum al maktoum-owned horse.......but even the great k fallon,the dazzler,j fortune,ETC have been guilty of the same offence.

actually he was asked his opinions on certain races/horses by a relative i believe,who then decided to back/lay the horses,there was absolutely no proof whatsoever that TC took any part in this practice or profited from it.he acted in very naive manner,DALE GIBSON(PJA) said at the time he felt sorry for TC and did not derserve to be banned.

Thanks

£200 Free Bet
    yes i do remember the incident at ponty on the b hills-trained/maktoum al maktoum-owned horse.......but even the great k fallon,the dazzler,j fortune,ETC have been guilty of the same offence.

actually he was asked his opinions on certain races/horses by a relative i believe,who then decided to back/lay the horses,there was absolutely no proof whatsoever that TC took any part in this practice or profited from it.he acted in very naive manner,DALE GIBSON(PJA) said at the time he felt sorry for TC and did not derserve to be banned.
    I could tell you a story or two regarding the Fallon and Holland instances you speak of. Save them for when I make a PL meet.

Thread Information